Beckham Soccer Stadium Bounced Again

Second Straight Site To Not Get Stadium

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    The latest site proposed for David Beckham's new soccer stadium has been pulled off the table. NBC 6's Steve Litz has the details. (Published Tuesday, Jun 10, 2014)

    The latest proposed site for international soccer superstar David Beckham to build his new stadium for a Miami MLS team is now off the table.

    Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez and Miami Mayor Tomas Regalado had recommended the FEC slip next to the AmericanAirlines Arena as a location to build the new stadium.

    At around 4 p.m. Tuesday, a Miami city spokesperson confirmed that the mayor and city manager determined the FEC slip is an inappropriate location for a soccer stadium.

    "I can say, what I saw, I liked," Gimenez said last month about the FEC slip location. "It's the creation of a bigger park, a better park. The addition of the stadium there that'll enhance the feel and excitement of the park."

    Beckham’s plan for the FEC slip was to fill in the water and build a waterfront park that has a stadium with at least 20,000 seats. The new plan would have expanded Museum Park by more than 8 acres to make the area not only a soccer draw, but also have more park land and cafes.

    Marcelo Claure, a partner in Miami Beckham United, said last month the plan was to put “our heart, our passion, our money…to show the citizens of Miami why this is the right place to put a stadium.”

    The move puts Beckham’s group into uncharted territory. The Beckham Group originally wanted to build the stadium at a site near PortMiami, but resistance from Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines and other groups helped kill any plans for a stadium at PortMiami.

    With the FEC slip and PortMiami off the table, the chances of Beckham building a stadium either on the waterfront or in downtown continue to narrow.

    Previously, there has been talk of building a stadium next to Marlins Park or at another location in the county, but neither site got much public support.

    UPDATE: A joint statement from Miami Beckham United & Mayo Regalado was released a little more than an hour after the initial report. The statement read:

    "Miami Beckham United and City of Miami Mayor Tomas Regalado met today to discuss a path forward for bringing a Major League Soccer club to Miami. Mayor Regalado and the City Manager expressed their belief that the FEC slip is an inappropriate location for a soccer stadium.

    Miami Beckham United presented a financial offer that included a privately funded stadium, fair payments for the use of the land, and zero City or County dollars. The Mayor and City Manager considered the proposal to be generous, though no negotiations took place.

    Mayor Regalado and the City Manager expressed their strong desire to bring professional soccer to Miami and their deep respect for David Beckham and his partners.

    Miami Beckham United will spend the coming months weighing alternatives.”

    Get the latest from NBC 6 South Florida anywhere, anytime: iPhone/iPad App | Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | RSS