A fire burned through a Fort Lauderdale home Tuesday sending one person to the hospital and leaving the house uninhabitable.
Just before the fire started, Kathleen Roland said she left the house telling her 65-year-old mother Agnes that she’d be right back. It was just minutes later she got a call from her sister saying her mom’s house was on fire.
Neighbors sprang into action quickly when the fire started. They knew the 65-year-old grandmother of three has breast cancer, muscular degeneration, and can’t walk.
“The kids came running and said the neighbor’s house was on fire,” said neighbor Bryan Olive. “I just ran up to it and started breaking all the windows and trying to yell inside to see if anyone was still in there.”
Kathleen said she returned to her SW 15th Street home and found police and fire crews everywhere. She told them her mom was in the home and she was looking to see if they had already pulled her out. Fort Lauderdale Fire-Rescue said they found Agnes in a bedroom adjacent to where the fire was burning.
“I saw them plop something,” Kathleen said. “So I assumed it was my mom. I saw them take her by and she was covered in soot.”
Agnes was taken to Broward General Hospital with burns to her legs and smoke inhalation. She was listed in serious condition as of Tuesday night.