Holiday travel was only slightly affected in South Florida airports Wednesday as travelers tried to get into and out of the area on the busiest travel day of the year.
Various flights at Miami International Airport had an average 25 minute delay Wednesday.There were 50 delays at at Fort Lauderdale–Hollywood International Airport by Wednesday afternoon. The delays there, ranged from 20 to 30 minutes.
This year, almost one million passengers are expected to pass through the gates at MIA for Thanksgiving, an expected increase of 1.4 percent from 2012. At Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, more than half a million passengers are expected.
Road travels around the country had also been affected as rain and snow caused delays and accidents. In New York, Pennsylvania and Ohio, drivers faced icy roads.
According to AAA, the national gas average for the holiday travel was the lowest since 2010 at $3.26. In Miami, the average gas price was $3.49 and in Fort Lauderdale the average was $3.48.
More NBC6.com Stories:
- PHOTOS: Rock Stars Then and Now
- Naked, Burned Man Dropped Off at Sarasota Hospital
- Large Crocodile Spotted in Miami Beach
- PHOTOS: 10 Stores to Shop on Turkey Day
- Mall Santa Denies Groping Elf
- WATCH: Deer Bursts Through Shop Window
- PHOTOS: Outrageous Black Friday Behavior
- Family: We Tipped Server, Didn't Pen Anti-Gay Note
- Naked Man Walking From Georgia to Miami Arrested