New Judge Takes Over Matthew Bent Case

Broward Circuit Judge Matthew Destry took over the case

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Burn survivors and their families gathered at the University of Miami's Jackson Memorial Burn Center at Ryder Trauma for a celebration. Wednesday marked the 20th anniversary of the center that helped save the lives of so many. Michael Brewer, who was set on fire by his classmates in 2009 and spent three months in the hospital, was present at the event. (Published Wednesday, Jul 18, 2012)

    A new judge on Tuesday took over the case of a South Florida teen convicted in the fiery attack on  another teenager, the South Florida Sentinel reported.

    Broward Circuit Judge Matthew Destry briefly spoke with the prosecutors and defense attorneys and set a court date of Aug. 17.

    Convicted Teen Seeks New Trial in Michael Brewer Burning Case

    [MI] Convicted Teen Seeks New Trial in Michael Brewer Burning Case
    Attorneys for the South Florida teen convicted for his role in the fiery attack on Michael Brewer were back in court Friday to ask a judge for a new trial. Shortly after the verdict, Juror Karen Bates McCord sent a letter to Broward Circuit Judge Michael Robinson saying she did not believe Bent received a fair trial. She claimed other jurors had already made up their minds before the trial was over. (Published Friday, Jul 6, 2012)

    Judge Michael Robinson recused himself from the case of 17-year-old Matthew Bent, who was convicted in June of aggravated battery in the 2009 burning attack on Michael Brewer at a Deerfield Beach apartment complex.

    Shortly after the verdict, juror Karen Bates McCord wrote to Robinson and told him she did not believe Bent received a fair trial. She said she did not understand the jury’s instructions and felt pressured to change her decision, particularly after she was accused of being racist by fellow jurors.

    Brewer Family Says It's Happy With Verdict in Matthew Bent Trial

     [MI] Brewer Family Says It's Happy With Verdict in Matthew Bent Trial
    Despite the jury’s compromise verdict in the Matthew Bent trial, burning victim Michael Brewer is satisfied that all the boys who had a part in setting him on fire will be punished, his mother, Valerie Brewer, said Wednesday. But she also told NBC 6 her son had nightmares about the incident on Tuesday night. (Published Wednesday, Jun 20, 2012)

    Defense attorney Johnny McCray confirmed that Robinson recused himself from the sentencing phase of the trial. Robinson did not explain his recusal, but simply granted the defense’s motion that he step aside.

    Bent’s attorneys already asked Robinson for a new trial earlier this month, citing the juror’s statements.

    Bent, who prosecutors said was the ringleader of the incident in which Brewer was set on fire, faces up to 15 years in prison. He was the only defendant involved in the attack who went to trial.

    Denver Jarvis, 17, who poured rubbing alcohol on Brewer, pleaded no contest to charges related to the attack and has been sentenced to eight years in prison with a probation term of 22 years. Jesus Mendez, 18, who pulled out a lighter and set Brewer on fire, also pleaded no contest and was sentenced to 11 years in prison following by 19 years of probation.